Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast health and breast cancer.
Our mission is to help women and their loved ones make sense of the complex medical and personal information about breast cancer, so they can make the best decisions for their lives.
Breastcancer.org was created to address the need for accessible, understandable, and compassionate information about breast cancer treatment issues. Thankfully, research breakthroughs have brought many new and promising treatments for breast cancer, and most doctors now encourage women to actively participate in making treatment decisions. But huge barriers still exist.
When dealing with breast cancer, most women feel overwhelmed by vast amounts of information, and are terrified by the burden of having to make critical decisions quickly. Often there isn’t enough time for an in-depth discussion about treatment options, when the average doctor’s visit is less than 10 minutes. In 1999, Dr. Marisa Weiss, a nationally renowned breast oncologist, founded Breastcancer.org to address these growing needs.
Breastcancer.org Founder and President Marisa Weiss, M.D. is the author of the acclaimed book Living Beyond Breast Cancer, a frequent co-producer and guest of NBC’s “Today” show Breast Cancer Series, and a WebMD breast cancer professor. Dr. Weiss speaks regularly at national conferences and is the recipient of awards from the American Cancer Society, Coping magazine, and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. She is an active member of the National Cancer Institute Director’s Consumer Liaison Group, with a special interest in identifying effective ways to communicate new treatment advances to doctors and patients.
Professional Advisory Board: All content on the site, including Research News, is reviewed by members of Breastcancer.org’s Professional Advisory Board, which is made up of more than 70 doctors, nurses, researchers, and other experts from a range of disciplines.
In the crowded and confusing world of online medical information, the Breastcancer.org web site stands out as the place where women affected by breast cancer and their loved ones can find everything they need: the most up-to-date medical information and research, a supportive and warm community, and a friendly and compassionate atmosphere. Highlights of Breastcancer.org’s online and off-line programs include:
- More than 6,000 pages of medical information posted on the Breastcancer.org web site. Information is presented in an objective and responsible way, with no bias to commercial interests. Breast cancer topics include:
- Lower Your Risk: Information about risk factors, including genetic predisposition, potentially dangerous environmental exposures, and ways to reduce risk.
- Symptoms and Diagnosis: Types of breast cancer screening and diagnostic testing, what the results mean, and information about the various types of breast cancer.
- Treatment and Side Effects: Information on breast cancer treatments, and the side effects they may cause.
- Day-to-Day Matters: Practical tips on managing day-to-day issues related to breast cancer.
- Research News. Breastcancer.org brings you updates on the latest breast cancer research through our Research News program, including what the experts at Breastcancer.org have to say about these articles.
- Ask-the-Expert Online Conferences. These events offer visitors the opportunity to participate in Q & A sessions with leading breast cancer experts.
- Active Online Discussion Boards and Chat Rooms. The discussion boards and chat rooms provide forums for sharing concerns on issues including diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship.
- Publications in Easy-to-Understand English and Spanish. A variety of materials are available, including Your Guide to the Breast Cancer Pathology Report, Your Guide to Breast Cancer Treatment, and Overcoming Your Fears of Breast Cancer Treatment.